We are looking for an authentic and astute Childrenswear Designer with a passion for Cath Kidston.
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT US:
Cath Kidston is a very British brand that always looks on the bright side of life. With a glass-so-full-it’s-spilling-over-the-sides approach and a playful humour, we started in 1993 with a small shop in West London selling car boot finds and vintage fabric, and now have adventures all over the world.
For nearly 30 years, our hand-drawn prints have set alight the hearts and minds of the Great British public – and beyond – making us a household name. We like to think of our products as portable sunshine, lifelong reminders to find the extraordinary in the everyday.
As we leap into a new era of Cath Kidston, we’re looking for the right people to help us make it all happen.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
You’ll report into the Creative Director and Design Manager, and will be responsible for delivering the creation of the Childrenswear range, originating and evolving all designs from conception through to final pre-production samples..
This role is 40 hours per week, Full time, working flexibly in hybrid style.
You’re a natural conversationalist, with a passion for childrenswear, and a welcoming warmth. An expert designer, you exceed expectations and are quick to do everything you can to deliver on them. You take the responsibility of being the brains of our much-loved brand to heart, with a ‘digital-first’ mentality and a keen eye for opportunities to go the extra mile.
You’re commercially focused, with a strong grasp on KPI’s and how you personally deliver and maximise your department’s targets.
- Taking direction from the Creative Director and working closely with the Design Manager, evolve and advance the Cath Kidston ranges, to design and create a Childrenswear collection that is able to both brand-build and hit commercial needs.
- Design the full spectrum of Childrenswear, including: Kidswear, Baby, Kid’s Bags and Accessories.
- Research and contribute ideas to the Creative Director in line with the overarching creative direction, using both our in-house print stories, trends, as well as your own original ideas, to bring freshness and relevance to the offer.
- Working closely with the PD team, deliver the above designs within the commercial strategy framework and price bands provided by the Buying and Merchandising team.
- Present concepts and designs to other departments at key points in the season, using imagery, Cads and samples to communicate progress of ideas.
- Illustrate ideas and concepts with engaging sketches and CAD artwork.
- Collaborate closely with the Design Manager for day-to-day support to ensure the best understanding and development of seasonal creative concepts.
- Develop a close working relationship with the Product Development team to ensure they source the materials and techniques needed, on time, as well as providing them with clear, complete and updated design information for them to liaise with the sourcing office /factories to complete successful samples, and BOMs.
- Produce high quality specifications to ensure success of product sampling.
- Work with the PD teams and the Design Manager to hit deadlines in the Critical Path.
- Work closely with the Creative Director, Design Manager and Womenswear designer to create cohesion across all clothing ranges.
- Excellent CAD skills (Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Excellent drawing skills (outfits and flats)
- Ability to produce garment specifications
- Experience on bags and accessories an advantage
- Clear understanding of the brand’s new handwriting
- Strong multi-product knowledge across childrenswear
- Experience working with a Product Development team
- Experience working with Far East factories
- Ability to identify key fabrications for the season
You must have the Right to Work in the UK